Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Onward, upward and Joan Woodward

Sew, I took Mistress J in for a spa day to get rid of the squeaking. I am hand sewing the binding down on the BHP and plan to ship that out sometime this month. I have two or three UFOs I could work on, but that is no fun at all, especially when I picked up a new magazine at the craft store for a raw edge circle quilt. After I left Mistress J, I spent a nice long time at the fabric shop and left with a lighter wallet. In one weekend of Mistress J being out of the house, I have enough fabric for four new projects: two big people quilts, one little person quilt, and a new farmer’s market tote (which I am proud to say will be constructed entirely from fabric from my stash). Fabric is cut for my living room quilt, now titled “Life Goes On (Oh Bla Di)”, halfway cut for the second grown up one. Mistress J is due home tomorrow. Hope the excitement of new projects lasts long enough to actually sew a little bit.

Fabric for "Life Goes On"

Looks like it is going to be bigger than I expected (remember, I am spatially challenged. Finished dimensions don't mean much to me) given the amount of time it took me to cut 96 10" squares, 32 of those in to circles. But the circle ruler is super fun! Of course, the pattern is supposed to make use of layer cakes, but I already had the fabric for my living room quilt picked out and purchased. And I could not for the life of me find any retailer who sold layer cakes of just solid white squares, so I was stuck reducing 4 3/4 yards of "snow" to 10" squares. So it's raw edge applique, one colored circle appliqued to a white square for the A block and then the remaining "holey" fabric laid over a full white square for the white to show through for B block. Pictures forthcoming when Mistress J returns.

Farmer's Market Bag

I love, love, love these fabrics! I bought the blue flower print years ago, just waiting for the perfect project. The rest of the fabric is from my stash, most of which has been used in other projects. I love the continuity of using scraps from old projects in new ones. Reminds me of the love out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment