Wednesday, February 3, 2010

About me

Answers.com says the quote is actually, "Sew buttons on ice cream if you think you're fast enough", and cites it as being from Norwood Grove's "Little Green Book." For me, it is a silly phrase a guy I knew years ago used to say in response to my habit of starting sentences with "...So...". I still use the word so, but these days I am more likely to be using a different spelling. I took up quilting about 7 years ago when a good friend had her first daughter. I decided to mark the occasion with a handmade gift. My mom and grandma sewed, it's got to be at least a little genetic, right? Don't bet the farm Mable... I visited the local fabric store and fired up my husband's ancient Singer (yes, you read that right. The first sewing machine in my house actually belonged to my husband.). Downloaded the machine instructions and a basic heart block from the WWW. I figured the rest would just work itself out. I did manage to actually tie the quilt to my carpet several times (seemed like a good idea to lay it out on the living room floor to do the tying, didn't occur to me to put something underneath. Well, live and learn.) but from what I understand, my friend's little girl still uses that quilt. 7 years later, I've learned a few things (not many, but a few), got a better sewing machine, and a nifty sewing area and am still making quilts for people who mean a lot to me. I laugh, I curse, I throw fabric/patterns/whathaveyou and I happen to like to write, so we'll see how the two mix. Maybe writing about my projects in process will light a fire under the sewing pedal...

No comments:

Post a Comment