Wednesday, May 1, 2013



Supersize Me

That is the working title of the Hexie Project. Did I happen to mention my little run in with, erm, directions? Oh, the directions are correct, it’s my interest and ability to follow them that is of concern here. With memories of painful evenings cutting shapes for Las Chingaderas still fresh, I did not want to hand cut a bazillion hexagons, so I bought a ruler instead of using the template in the directions. They recommended So-and-So’s #6 ruler. So I went off and bought a 6” hex ruler. (PS - #6 and 6” not the same thing) Zipped through the cutting of the fabric and worked out my layout on the bedroom floor. I had to lay it out in sections because it was so big. (No, no warning bells going off yet) Pieced two rows together and started to wonder why there was so much fabric sitting in my lap. (Mildly curious at this point, but not concerned) Had to stand on a chair to get an initial picture of the pieced rows. (Alarm starts to build) Reread the directions. Catch the subtle difference between a #6 ruler and a 6” ruler (about 2”, I’d say). Multiply that out over the dimensions of the quilt and what you get is a big-a$$ quilt. Cal King size, to be precise. I thought about just trimming it down to the original dimensions and using the left over hexies for a baby blanket, but came back around to my usual out-of-my-mind decision making quilt process and decided to make a massive quilt for my bed. And while I was visiting quilt la-la land, I also thought it would be a good idea to enter it into the San Diego Quilt Show this fall. So my little “can I do this” project with no deadlines has turned into a sewing frenzy with a schedule and everything. I am considering setting up an MS Project workflow/timeline. In the meantime, progress on all other fronts has come to a halt.  

 I am 6' tall and standing on a step stool in this photo with my arms extended over head. You can't see my face, but I am alarmed.
 Piles of fabric in my lap as I piece together two rows of two. Four rows together is huge. Supersize indeed...

2 comments: